Aug 12, 2009

Cutting Onion Without Crying


Since I live with my parents, I get to cook just once a week (Monday supper and Tuesday lunch) which is very lucky since I do not like cooking very much.

Anyways, since my Mom seems to have less energy today, I fixed lunch today. Made Yakimeshi (fried rice).
I used 1) onion 2) carrot 3) green pepper 4) scallop. My mother told me to use scallop before it got old :).
So I cut onion, carrot and green pepper into small pieces and saute it and put scallop then rice.

By the way, I believe cutting onion makes you cry doesn't it?? Well, it does to me. I think this is global.....? Anyways assume it is and today, I did not cry when I was cutting the onions!!!
I watched a TV show a couple of weeks ago. It was a quiz show. In the question, there was a quiz that

which one is not correct to prevent you from crying when you are cutting onion
. There is one that does not work.
1) Have piece of onion in your mouth when you are cutting onions
2) Plug your nose when you are cutting onions

3) Cover your eyes when you cut onions


Do you know which one is the right answer?? 3) Covering your eyes does not work. Did you know that?? I have narrowed my eyes when I cut it before and I thought it worked... but the thing (I forgot how it is called) permeate through nose mucous membrane (wow big word... (@_@) than eyes!!!!

So today, I tried not to breath from nose when I was cutting the onion and I DID NOT CRY!!!!! It does work!!! You should try it too!!



[Today's Japanese]
Above pictures. The left one is
onion in English right? And the right is green onion.
I was wondering why these two have similar name even though it does not look a like. But maybe those 2 are some kind of family ne, I think. In Japanese, those 2 does have similar names.
Onion is "Tama-negi" and green onion is "Negi". You see? the "negi" part is the same just like the onion part is the same in English. "Tama" means ball sort of in Japanese. So.... ball shaped negi is onion......

In English Onion seemed to be the base and in Japanese Negi (green onion) seemed to be the base.... would it be something to do with which one is used more or something? or.... which one is harvested more.....?!?!? muttering........

No comments:

Post a Comment